понедельник, 15 декабря 2014 г.

BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!

BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


okay so the first time I heard the term \"boob lights\" was a year ago when we were redoing our house and my friend was like \"SAY NO TO THE BOOB LIGHTS!!!!!!!!\" When my hubby walked in carrying some from Lowes! Now all I see when I look at them is a big boob in my laundery room and mudroom!!!! Okay. So NOW, you've showed me what I can do with them! THANKS, girl!!! Pinning


So glad!!! Go get that ceiling cleavage and kick those scandals to the curb sister!


so cool, i love it!


Thanks so much friend


Soooo funny! Yet, very informative!


Best compliment you could give me Thanks so much Rebecca!!


Sooo love these ideas plus the commentary was hilarious! Keep up the great work! From a fellow Heather


hilarious diy blog. love it. great job although my husband would be sad you got rid of boobs.


Stephanie @ thedishbcs.com


I don't have any boob lights in my house, but I kinda wish I did so I can do this to them! This was a hilarious read.


Great post! Gave me a good laugh!! And got me thinking of how many boob lights I have in my home …


Love it, thanks for posting! Pinned!


I swear…you can really make something from nothing! love them both!


Ha! Isn't it so rewarding? And you are a master at doing the \"something\" from \"nothing\" thing, Karen!


LOVE it – I was just trying to explain this idea to the hubs the other day. ban them all……


Hahahaha! About 15 years ago my Hubby and I were at Home Depot and they had a 2pk of these lights on an end cap in the lighting dept. I told my Hubby they looked like boobs…from then on we called them boob lights =) Then I see on pinterest we aren't the only ones that call them that! I'm loving the capiz shell re-do! I can't wait to try it myself!! Thanks for the links!!


I love these two ideas Heather!! I have been disdainly staring at my apartment lights wondering what to do with them. I might have to do BOTH of these!!


Came to your post from a link party! You’re hilarious! Glad to see more people on the anti-boob light wagon. I have to try the capiz one soon. Thanks for sharing!


So glad you came!! Nice to “meet” you


I just love this! And your writing style! Hilarious. Now I’m going to stalk all of your other posts! ?


Thanks Jessica!! And please, stalk away


This is flippin awesome! One of the best hacks yet. My hallway will be getting a makeover as soon as I get my hands on a capiz wind chime. Reading this 1st thing in the morning, thanks for the humor to start my day.


Happy to help, Donna! Put a picture up on my Facebook page if you go for it! Would love to see how it turns out for you!!


I love your wit and your creativity! A pleasure to read. Keep it up!


THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this. I just stumbled across this. I have been at a loss for a quick fix to cover a boob light in my hallway. I had an extra lamp shade laying around and BOOM problem solved. Now I feel inspired to cover the rest of them in my house. So easy.


Good!! I’m so glad to hear it


I love this post, not only because I love capiz windchimes but also you did it so funny to read.


Thanks for sharing it!


Thanks so much Pili! Glad you’re here


I love that you helpe me discover another use for one of my favorite things, zip-ties! So freakin useful! I like to use them on the wire shelves in the closet to attach baskets for organizing, and anything else I can think! I’m not sure what I would do if there were no zip-ties, command strips, or velcro!


As much as I love zip-ties, I detest the boob light! I only have about 5 more to get rid of in our house, so pinning your post for when I’m ready to do that project.


Thanks for the inspiration!


Ha! I know Lauree, I agree! Zip ties are THE BEST!!! Velcro too…I don’t use too many Command strips yet, but I think I just need to buy some more and then the inspiration will come I’m hoping!


Love these ideas! I have those same ugly boobs and since we rent I don’t have a lot of options.


The only thing I was wondering about is if the lampshade isn’t really ugly to look into from below. If that makes sense? I’m just thinking you’ll see the remainder of the boob?


Hi Lisette! We actually prefer the capiz shell shade, but I’ve seen people use the drum with Edison bulbs, or, you can get a piece of frosted plexiglass and put it at the base of the shade to create a cover for the base of the shade Cheers!


Love all the puns! I used to have mixed feelings about capiz shades, I don’t know why. I was definitely always anti-boob light!


fantastic!!!! i’m anti boob lights too. finally got rid of the last one in our house.


the capiz is brilliant!


This is AWESOME, we have a few “boob” lights in our older home (built in 63 but it’s more in line with the 50’s). I love vintage but whoever thought up those lights has issues. We also have V lights (popular in the 70’s, can’t think of how to describe them), which are normally more of an outdoor thing, in our entryway and I’ve been racking my brain trying to find a way to make the entryway more classy. When we moved in it had green striped wallpaper I’m sure was installed in the 80’s, under which we found some weird sparkly wallpaper, not to mention the brick flooring.


Thank you so much for this! Used wax paper and made a new chandelier for $2!! I’m in love.


That’s AWESOME!! Would LOVE to see a picture!!


I have been living with no drilling lights cuz they are “boob” lights! Now I’m so grateful to find this diy on Pinterest. Thanks for the options too.


You could fill that shade with concrete, let the concrete harden, break the shade (be careful) and put the resulting dome in your garden. I’ve seen it done with the round globe (icky) light shades. Enjoy!


These days my boobs are uneven. Not sure how that relates to your post persay, but I feel this knee jerk reaction to share that little pregnancy bonus point with anyone who will listen. Happy New Year, friend! xx


Oh my word….you are ridiculous and hilarious. And I love that you felt the need to share this….on New Years Eve…which tells me either: 1. You’ve already been drinking OR 2. You NEED to get out of the house and have a drink very badly. I am not sure which I have my money on. Happy New Years… I am happy that we found each other


I enjoyed your post and its puns greatly. Have a question, though – how would you clean these shades, since you really can’t take them off?


The only boob light in my home is in a stairwell. It’s dangerous job to take off the glass cover and change the bulb, and making access to the bulb even more difficult with even a small lampshade would be entirely unsafe. Maybe a capiz shell shade would actually make access easier (no glass cover to remove!), but the length you show would probably hit people in the head at the top of the stairs, and I don’t think a shorter length would be attractive.


As I talk about it, I realize that actually, I think I will have to consult an electrician about this light. I’m 65 and my balance is no longer good enough to reach precariously out and up from the top step, even though I’m (barely) tall enough to reach it.


Finally, do you have any ideas for dressing up flush mounted fixtures that hold floodlights? They are SO boring! (I see a raft of toilet puns in your future…)


I love this idea and have 2 in my hallway. I would use the capiz shells and I see a link on here too. I will shop around to see if I see any cheaper and will have to measure to see how round I need. Although I don’t have the light on for very long do you think there is an issue with the heat coming in contact with the shells?


Some of the ideas I linked are alternatives to real capiz shells, so not sure how those would hold up with the heat. We have real capiz shells, and none are actually in contact w/ the light source (nor should any ever be, for safety) and we haven’t noticed or seen any signs of overheating, but of course, it totally depends on your shade.


This was great. Informative and hilarious – my inner child thanks you!


Excellent. We have to keep those inner children happy


OMG, so funny! Never quite realize how many word plays there are on “boob”. I also never realized that’s what those lights are called. Both good alternatives, although I’m favoring #1. Visiting from DIY Like a Boss party.


I’m all about low brow humor here, Victoria Thanks for your sweet comment…if you’ve got a ceiling cleavage issue, you should totally try one of these. They have saved my eyes here in our place


These are great ideas, thank you! We are just renting right now so I don’t want to sink a bunch of money into light fixtures, but seriously we have like 15 boob lights in the house. I just bought a cute chandelier to put in our nursery – there’s a company called Wall Pops who makes adorable chandeliers for less than $20 – I’m not sure if they’re actually capiz or not, but some of them look like it, and for $20 I would much rather buy it than spend hours making it – which is unusual for me to say! I also saw some cute chandeliers or wind chimes on Ebay that didn’t cost too much.


Would love to see how it turns out Molly!!


Ok, so not only is this post super inspirational and helpful, but it’s freaking hilarious!!!! Bahahahaha!


Loved your DIY Boob job!! Thank you for the reconstruction tips!!


You are most welcome. Glad you’re a connoisseur of home plastic surgery projects like we are Cheers!


I’m just gonna dive right in and let you know that this titorial…whoops…TUTorial may make some of us feel a bit awkward. My apologies in advance. But we’re talking about boobs today at The Heathered Nest. Specifically, “boob lights”. And I’m gonna give you A PAIR of knockers knockout, five minute, zero tool methods to help you can the ceiling cleavage in your home, and create your own, custom DIY light fixtures/DIY chandelier.


PSA before we go any further…please know that I am not anti-boob. Breasts are very useful and brilliantly designed anatomical features. I just don’t want my home to be illuminated by them.


Let’s get down to business. Apologies if this photo offends anyone. But for those of you who DON’T know what a “boob light” is…get your Mardi Gras beads ready, because you’re about to be flashed…


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


I know, I know. That’s hard to look at. Not only is this stairwell exceedingly ugly (and dirty), there is a wet t-shirt contest happening on my ceiling right now. Whoa.


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


Check THIS out! Not only is there another boob hanging from the ceiling, but this whole room is a TOTAL bust! (Did anyone else find that funny, because I’ve read it five times and my inner 10-year-old is still laughing). Don’t worry, this room doesn’t look like this now…if you wanna check out it’s AFTER, CLICK HERE.


Listen, I love Hooters as much as the next gal (great wings, right?). But I don’t wanna feel like I’m dining there every night in my own home. All this now being said…


Here’s the quick and dirty video synopsis on what’s about to go down:


Boob light fixture


Capiz shell shade -OR- drum shade with “spider” (shown above), “uno” or “chimney” fitter will work best (google these terms if I’m not speaking your language right now)


Three nylon zip (cable) ties


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!! BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!! BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


Hanging a Capiz Shade:


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


It’s basically the same method described for the drum shade, but it’s slightly easier because a capiz shade usually has a round rim at the top, and you can fasten your cable ties anywhere you need.


Here’s a close-up of the top of my capiz shade.


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


Stick your zips up there through the holes in your flushmount…


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!! BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


Snip the excess nylon once you’re happy with how the shade hangs.


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


Voila! Do you like? I would totally sink some cold hard cash into this if I saw it somewhere…but luckily, we don’t have to!!


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


The only problem with this project is that after you dismantle those boob lights, you have a perfectly good glass shade leftover! So, I’ve racked (get it?) my brain, and come up with two possible solutions for you.


1. Start a new side job?


BAN THOSE BOOB LIGHTS! 2 DIY Tutorials to get the cleavage off your ceiling and swap those basic builder grade flushmounts for STUNNERS...NO TOOLS NEEDED!!


Cheers! Thanks for stopping by! Wanna see some more Heathered Nest DIY light projects? Check out:


DIY Fabric Floral Lampshade MAZING DIY! Outdoor (or indoor) tin can chandelier/pendant light! Tutorial from heatherednest.com Bubble, Bubble Toil & Trouble


Pin us (ouch!) on Pinterest: Heathered Nest


Be our friend on Facebook


Tweet Tweet on Twitter


Head over to See us on YouTube


Find us on Instagram


Original article and pictures take http://www.heatherednest.com/2015/07/ban-boobs-boob-lights-that-is-in-5.html site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий