вторник, 23 декабря 2014 г.

Blackberry Cake Recipe

Blackberry Cake Recipe


Blackberry Cake Recipe


I made this cake for my husband’s birthday. It was my first time doing butter cream and I overbeat the butter. It was not smooth. It looked ugly just because I couldnt decorate and I dont have proper tools for cake decor, BUT the cake is DELICIOUS. My family loves it and my daughter always asking for MORE!


I’m so glad you enjoyed the cake! With the lumpy frosting, could it have been that the butter or cream cheese weren’t fully softened at room temperature which would make it difficult to get a completely smooth frosting? I hope that helps for next time!


I am so excited to try making this cake!!!! I’m sure it will be wonderful, just like all your wonderful recipes. I was wondering if I could buy the same piping bag and wilton 2D tip on amazon? I could never find a good one. Could you give me the name or link of where to buy your piping bag? I would greatly appreciate it!


Oksana, we have the Ateco piping bag (I have 18\u2033 size) and Wilton 2D tip. Hope this helps . Reply


I just made this today for a bridal shower. OH MY GOSH! It is the best, most delicious cake I have ever made in my entire life! I followed your directions exactly and it turned out perfect! Everyone was raving about it! The lemon syrup made the sponge cake so moist and had the perfect lemon flavor and the buttercream was simply amazing! I seriously can’t say enough good things about it! Because of this recipe I now have a great baking reputation among my friends LOL!


P.S. I used frozen (thawed) blackberries and it worked perfectly. Reply


Awww that’s the best! Anna, thank you so much for sharing that with me


Hi Natasha,


I tried making this cake for my mom’s birthday and I ran into some real issues. I used an electric hand mixer and things seemed to turn out fine, everything looked just like how it did in the video. When I folded in the flour, I was so nervous to deflate the batter I am thinking I did not fully incorporate it. I cooked the rounds for 23 mins (I think I should have cooked it longer), they had the golden brown tops just like you showed in the video. When the cake was ready to take out of the pans, the real trouble began.


The cakes were sticky and had an “eggy” smell. They were so sticky and soft I could not even attempt to cut the round in half with a serrated knife! I considered trying to get them back into the pans and back into the oven to cook longer, but was unsure if that was smart move.


I didn’t have time to remake the layers, so I just made the cake into a two layer cake instead. I frosted and decorated with no problems, the frosting was delicious!


When it came time to serving, I was so embarrassed. I cut into the cake to find lumps of flour throughout the whole cake. The texture of the cake was still sticky yet mealy, not at all like a sponge cake should be.


Help! I really want to try making this again because I can see the potential of how delicious it could be. Especially because this recipe could be adapted to other fruit flavors like raspberry or strawberry, following the same process.


Looking forward to your response! Reply


Hi Kelly, Thank you for sharing that and I do have answers to all your questions! I’ve made the sponge cake probably a hundred times and I’m always happy to help troubleshoot. To address your question about the cakes being sticky: using an electric hand mixer does take longer to mix than a high powered stand mixture because the large whisk on a stand mixer incorporates air into the whipped eggs quicker. If using a hand mixer, add 2-4 minutes to the mixing time. I’ll be sure to add that tip to the recipe. Did you use a conventional oven and bake in the center without opening the oven door too often? Did you possibly use a smaller sized pan which would take longer to bake. To check the cake for doneness, you can gently press on the top of the cake and if it springs back, it is done – it definitely should not be sticky and I’ve never had it come out sticky after 23 minutes so I wonder if maybe the pan size or oven settings may be different than what’s recommended? The lumps of flour are definitely related to under-folding the batter. Also, it really helps if you sift the flour into the cake in thirds and fold between each addition of flour so there is less chance of the clumps of flour folding. Scraping from the bottom of the bowl is important because flour can settle on the bottom and pockets of flour can be missed if you aren’t scraping from the bottom of the bowl upwards. Once I no longer see any pockets or streaks of flour, I’ll fold an extra 5 times just to make sure there is no unmixed flour left. I hope that helps for next time!


Hi Natasha, thank you for the speedy response! I really appreciate it. I am going to try making this cake again this week with your new feedback and will let you know how it goes. : )


I did sift in the flour as you noted, but I definitely did not mix as well as I should have as I was afraid to deflate the batter. I will mix the batter for the additional time, the hand mixer worked quite well but your point about the smaller beaters makes sense.


I was using a conventional oven and did bake the cakes in the center. I did not open the door at all until 23 mins was up. I did not check for doneness, to be honest I had never made sponge cake before so I was unsure of how to know when it was finished. I will be sure to press the cake top next time!


Thank you again for getting back to me, I am looking forward to a second, much better attempt! Reply


No problem at all! I also added some tips for success on the sponge cake recipe page (near the top), for quick reference. Reply


I had a go at making this cake. I must confess that I struggled with the cake mixture, which I think is what we call in the UK , a Victoria sponge mixture. I didn’t incorporate the flour thoroughly with the egg mixture and therefore the cakes didn’t rise fully. Thankfully they were still large enough to slice. I really liked the icing and didn’t find it too sweet at all. Thank you for the recipe.


You are welcome Angela, I’m glad it still worked out


Hi Natasha! I saw this recipe and I haven’t tried it but it looks great and I really am looking forward to trying it, as I have picked fresh blackberries in the last few days. Thank you for your wonderful recipe!


I hope you love it!


Hi, did you use 9\u2033 cake pans? Also, did you have a chance to watch the video on how to prepare the sponge cake? It normally rises enough to slice into 4 layers. I highly recommend you watch it if you aren’t used to making this classic European Sponge Cake base. Was your butter possibly too soft and did you add the salt to the frosting which really helps to balance the sweetness? I’m not sure how a milky taste would work with the blackberries and lemon but you can definitely experiment.


Thank you to our friends at Driscoll’s (our favorite berry brand) who sponsored this recipe. This blackberry cake is soft and moist and has a fluffy lemon blackberry buttercream frosting. The lemon juice cuts the sweetness and brightens up the whole cake. You’ll enjoy every bite as it hits your taste buds; sweet, tart and tangy. And of course the fresh Driscoll’s blackberries were plump, juicy and wonderful!


I made this blackberry cake for my niece’s birthday and it was…good and so pretty (with decor inspiration from Allie)! Then I kept working on the cake, adding more lemon and the results were fantastic. Thankfully another niece was having a birthday the following weekend so it became her birthday cake. This was much safer than leaving the cake at home with me, alone – with just the cake and I – and a fork. No one even noticed that I had taken out a slice to photograph it and then carefully replaced it and patched the frosting #smooth. My family was completely smitten with this cake!


Blackberry Cake Ingredients:


6 large eggs, room temperature


1 cup granulated sugar


1 cup all-purpose flour


1/2 tsp baking powder


Simple Lemon Syrup:


3/4 cup warm water


1 Tbsp granulated sugar


4 Tbsp Lemon Juice (from 1 large lemon)


Blackberry Frosting Ingredients:


3 cups powdered sugar


3 sticks (1 1/2 cups) unsalted butter, room temperature


8 oz Cream cheese, softened at room temperature


1/2 tsp salt (I used fine sea salt)


2 packages (6 ounces each) Driscoll’s blackberries, divided (1 cup for frosting, 1 cup sliced for layers, 6 berries for decor).


2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice from 1 medium lemon


Crystal sprinkles, optional


How to Make the Blackberry Cake:


Watch the video before you get started:


Preheat Oven to 350˚F. Line bottoms of two 9\u2033 cake pans with parchment paper (do not grease the sides).


1. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment (this is the one I have), beat 6 large eggs for 1 minute on high speed. With the mixer on, gradually add 1 cup sugar and continue beating 8-10 minutes until thick and fluffy.


2. Whisk together 1 cup flour and 1/2 tsp baking powder then sift this mixture into fluffy egg mixture one third at a time. Fold with a spatula with each addition just until incorporated. Scrape spatula from the bottom to catch any pockets of flour and stop mixing when no streaks of flour remain. Do not over-mix or you will deflate the batter.


3. Divide evenly between prepared cake pans (it helps if you have a kitchen scale to weight the pans). Bake at 350˚F for 23-28 minutes (my oven took 25 min), or until top is golden brown. Remove from pan by sliding a thin spatula (here’s the one I love for cakes) around the edges then transfer to a wire rack and remove parchment backing. Cool cakes to room temperature then slice layers equally in half with a serrated knife.


How to Make Lemon Blackberry Frosting:


1. Combine 2 Tbsp lemon juice with 1 cup blackberries in small saucepan. Simmer 6-7 minutes or until berries easily mash up with a fork then turn off heat. Strain through a fine mesh Strainer, pushing the blackberries through with a spatula until only seeds are left in strainer. Discard seeds and set the puree aside to cool completely to room temp (you should get 5 Tbsp puree).


2. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment, cream together 3 sticks butter, 3 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp salt on low speed until combined, scraping as necessary. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until white and fluffy (2 to 3 min).


3. Add cream cheese 1-piece at a time and mix until combined then continue to beat 2 min until fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed. With the mixer on, drizzle in blackberry syrup 1 Tbsp at a time then beat another minute.


How to Assemble Blackberry Cake:


1. Slice 1 cup blackberries and set aside. Make your lemon syrup by combining 3/4 cup warm water, 1 Tbsp granulated sugar and 4 Tbsp Lemon Juice.


2. Place first cake layer on serving platter cut-side up. Brush with 1/4 of the lemon syrup. Spread frosting over the top and layer with 1/3 sliced berries. Repeat with remaining layers placing the final layer cut-side-down, then frost the top and sides. (Tip: For the smoothest results, reserve flattest cake-layer for the top)


3. Pipe remaining frosting onto cake. For the roses, I used a closed star Wilton 2D tip (here’s a tutorial I created awhile back for how to pipe frosting roses). Decorate with remaining blackberries. I sprinkled with sugar crystals since it was my niece’s princess party birthday cake :)


Original article and pictures take http://natashaskitchen.com/2016/04/26/blackberry-cake-recipe/ site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий